Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Quote

In researching for a paper that is due on Sunday (yes, this Sunday), I came across this quote by Nelson Mandela:

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
And as I research and try to compact many articles on the student strike that took place almost a year ago in Puerto Rico, I can't help but reflect on my own education. I guess, partially because it's part of the program. I mean as much as a couple of my friends joke about how much time we spend reflecting on our experiences, it's all part of the process. Most of us, I can take a guess, are there because there was something/someone who made an impact or a difference in their undergraduate experience.

For me, it was definitely my undergraduate experience that has lead me in this direction. Without the support system that I was able to create not only within the MEChA family, but the Ethnic Student Center, I don't think I would be where I am today. My education at Western didn't just happen inside the classroom, but out of the classroom as well. From student protests/walkouts, HIV/AIDS prevention and farmworkers rights - it was quite the experience. Which, yes I miss dearly, but mostly I miss the people that I was surrounded by. Never having to explain myself and/or being able to just go off about something and not being questioned. Or even just knowing that you have that one person who will totally back you up in class (most of us had classes together) when talking about issues of diversity and access in the education system.

Someday I hope to be part of that catalyst that empowers students to change the world.

No comments: