Sunday, September 27, 2009

CineSeattle

I finally had a weekend where I didn't have to really be anywhere and could pretty much relax. (It's also the weekend before my fall class starts.) So what do I do? I decide to sign up for a 2-hr volunteer shift at CineSeattle's first ever Seattle International Latino Film Festival. And what had originally been a 2-hr shift ended up being 4.5 hrs, resulting in not getting home until after midnight on Friday night and let's just say I was a tad-bit exhausted. But that didn't stop me from putting in 8 more hours on Saturday.

But it was all worth giving up my free weekend. I met so many new people, including getting to hang out with the curator of the festival. We had amazing discussions on what it meant to be Latinos in the US (we all came from different backgrounds - Cuban, Guatemalan, Mexican) and talks about race and racism, all in between the rush of ticket sales and ushering people in the door.

So during my shifts I did get to see a few of the films, all of which I recommend:
Que Parezca Un Accidente
Fidel Castro: Man or Myth
Dance of My Heart
Luchando

I'm really looking forward to next year's festival and have already signed up to volunteer!

No comments: