Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 30...the final one.

Day 30 - A picture of someone you miss

(Martin & Tita)

I've been thinking about them a lot lately. And maybe it's because of everything that is going on within my immediate family, but I really miss my grandparents on my mom's side. My grandpa passed away in '95 and then my grandmother in '97. I truly believe that someone can die of a broken heart, as this is what I believe happened to with my grandma. They were a constant part of my life. We went to their house every single weekend and all of the cousins would hang out together. We called them Apa & Ama, and not grandpa/abuelito or grandma/abuelita. I wish that I could go back in time and ask more questions, about why they decided to migrate from Texas to Washington. How life was for them growing up and what led them to each other.

I miss how Apa was the only one to call me his "muñeca" (doll) and how he loved his roses. He loved spending time out in the yard. No one was allowed to touch them or cut them, because if he found out that you did, you were in t-r-o-u-b-l-e! I also love that just to make Ama mad, he named their cat Pepsi, because that was his favorite drink, and when she tried to call him by another name the cat ignored her. I miss that Ama would always have some sort of treat waiting for you. Or that as kid would threaten us with "la mask" a scary Halloween mask that she kept in the closet & would scare us with if we didn't behave.

All that history is now gone. But I am glad that I still have the memories. I'm one of the "older" cousins, and at least I can say that I did have my time with them, since many of them were so young.

No comments: