Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ok so I really hadn't thought about Toby in a very long time. Toby was my first dog and actually he has been my only dog. He was my very own, therefore I had the responsibilities that came with owning a dog. Initially Toby hadn't been my first choice. When we first went to see the litter I had picked a completely different dog, who ended up being quite the opposite of Toby - even in coloring. Toby was black and the other one was white. Toby's mom was a full chihuahua who had wandered from home one day and found a male dachshund and well, you know the rest.

Toby was the best dog. He was tiny, but he was feisty and yes at times tended to have a bit of an attitude. He even had a run in with the law - but that's a blog for another time. I loved Toby very much - when I first got him he could literally fit in both of my palms. His death was very unexpected - my dad ran over him with the car, while I was in it. My dad felt horrible and I was sick for about a week.

Since Toby my parents have had many dogs, but never ones that I claimed as my own. There was just never a connection with those dogs, like the one I had with the Tobster. I pretty much had given up ever having another dog like Toby, because well he was irreplaceable.

But this morning as I was getting ready for work I had the news on in the background and there was a story of a man who had his housebroken into and someone had stolen two of his puppies that were dachshund and chihuahua mix! I can't believe that someone would so cold-heartedly steal someone's puppies! That's just evil. So out of curiosity I googled "dachshund and chihuahua mix" and it actually took me to dog breed info site! Apparently people have been breeding these two combinations and they have created a new hybrid of dog - and all this time I thought my Toby was special because there were only his brothers and sisters that were like him. Now I'm seriously considering getting one, so forget the bulldog I'm getting a Chiweenie. Yes, that's what they are called! How cute is that?

Below is Penny a 12 week old Cheweenie and she is exactly what Toby looked like!
Isn't she so precious!! The funny thing is that Toby never wore a collar, no matter how many times we got him one he would manage to take it off and hide it by burying it somewhere.

(http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chiweeniephotos.htm)

No comments: