Tuesday, September 16, 2008

So yesterday after babysitting Elexia, we went to the Seattle Center for the Fiestas Patrias celebration. Being the very nerdy person that I am, I also attended a panel discussion on Chicano Identity and the use of Spanglish. I thought it was pretty good, it's always good to hear someone else's perspectives. All of the presenters were UW professors, including Andrea's dad. We had some so-so tacos dorados and some yummy empanadas de piña. From Andrea's uncle I bought a - Danger Educated Chicana t-shirt, which I'm thinking of sporting to the Puyallup Fair today. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

So, Andrea invited me to go to her co-worker's (Enrique) housewarming party on Beacon Hill. I thought why not. It wasn't quite what I was expecting - they had a keg in the garage area and there were people everywhere. For the record - the keg ran out before midnight and they had to make a beer run - teachers can party. I mean really, can you blame them?
But I had a good time, even if I had only known Andrea & Enrique. It was quite the mix of people too, we were listening to everything from musica en Español to Alabama, yeah that's right country. Oh and who can forget the Bon Jovi, haha.
So one of the weird and least expected events of the night was seeing someone I had graduated with from Ephrata there. It was probably the last place I had ever expected to see him. I don't think I've seen him since we graduated 8 years ago. It was kind of crazy.

Ok now I have to finish getting ready because Andrea and I are headed down to the Puyallup Fair. It'll be my first time! :)

No comments: