I don't think I ever really wrote about the class I took this summer - Multicultural Perspectives. It was probably one of the worst organized class I have ever taken, yes this includes the African American Experience where we ended up watching movies the entire time - but that's a story for another time. I really think that the professor had some pretty great material, one of our books was Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria by Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum, which I ended up reading the whole thing even though we were only supposed to read a few chapters. I think that one of the things that bothered me the most was the fact that she just didn't know how to facilitate conversations, well that and her syllabus made absolutely no sense and was waaaaay too long!
But it wasn't all negative. The group that I ended up being in for our final presentation totally kicked butt - Racial Profiling Trends and Awareness at Seattle University. And in addition to that we all became friends, not that we didn't know each other before, but this kind of brought us together in a whole new way. I am excited to take other classes with these ladies, they make class so much better.
So one of the girls said something to me on the last day of class that made me a little bit sad. She said that she was really glad that she had become friends with Juanita and I, because we had showed her that being proud to be Latina was something positive and that she didn't always feel so positive about being Asian, but it was something that she really wanted to work on. The professor then started to talk and we had to turn our attention to her and didn't allow me to tell her that it wasn't always that way for me.
And it's funny because I thought about this again when I was singing along to Los Tigres del Norte this past weekend. I think that if you would have told me 10 yrs ago that I would be dancing, laughing and singing along, let alone having fun at a Mexican dance - I would have probably laughed at you. I can remember telling my parents to turn it down when we would go on family road trips, because it was "too loud and annoying." So, I have definitely come a long way.
No comments:
Post a Comment